The FreeGIS.net Virtual Machine is a solid proof of the applicability of the work done in the FreeGIS.net project.
In the scope of this project many activities were undertaken to reach this point. Among them are
- the analysis and implementation of the features required by INSPIRE in MapServer, a leading map generating software. Of particular interest were the implementation of multilingual capabilities a improvements in the layer structure as exposed through WMS. A detailed report on this work item is the subject of a separate report included in this DVD.
- the analysis and implementation of many additions to HALE, a powerful data harmonization and transformation tool, including substantial improvements in the scalability and performance of the software. This work is described in major detail in a report of it's own.
- numerous enhancements to the GisClient web mapping software, which is used as a gentle shell for most of the included server side GIS software.
- the FreeGIS.net Viewer, a client based on openlayers which communicates with the server only through OGC-Standards
- packaging many GIS software packages for the popular RPM package manager found in current enterprise Linux distributions.
Working installation of the above mentioned software in the FreeGIS.net Virtual Machine.